I wanted to make a spilt pea soup. The same one that I use to eat at my grandma place when I was visiting her during my childwood. Strangely that was one of the only green soup I could eat. Because green soup means vegetables so Yeks !
I was missing this soup so much and if sometimes I have the chance to eat it at friends’ place or in restaurants … That was the first time I was making some at home ! Now that’s done and that’s even better that any orange soups that I love. From far !
But what a story ! I had never really seen split pea in fact. Or at least not I can recall. I think that I only saw them mashed or blended in soup. So I had a wrong idea about what they look like … I was looking near frozen products or next to fresh green peas … Until I got a call from my grandma .. We had a great lauf and I found them next to the lentils the next day !
All of that just for a soup but a soup … A delight together with some fried bread, sourdough bread baked in a wood-oven, made with spelt flour.
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 potato
- 1 tablespoon of grape oil
- 250 gr. of split peas
- 3,5 l. of water
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- some pepper
- 5 cl. of cream
- 3 slices of bread, diced and fried with a bit of butter
- Peel and cut onion, carrot and potato.
- Fry vegetables for 5 minutes with 1 tablespoon of grape oil.
- Add split peas, water, bouquet garni, salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium heat for 2 hours.
- Mix using a blender. It will be thicker if you use a hand blender.
- Servir avec diced bread fried with a bit of butter.