Oh crap … the Battle Food is already tomorrow. I have never been so late. Even so, my recipe is ready for a long time. When I heard about the new theme of this month defined by Julia from Les Cookines, I was so exited. Pre-made versus homemade. Yes ! I will finaly be able to share with you a homemade napolitain recipe. The Napolitain, that’s was our thing. My mother was always bringing some from the supermarket for
us … her. But anyway, we were eating them all ! That’s just so delicious !
Unfortunately, in Switzerland you cannot find any in the supermarket. And I am not always going shopping at the French border, and even when I do so. Tiny chocolate hearts, chipsters and mini-pizzas already jumped into my shopping bad … So I begin to feel guilty in from of the Napolitain …
So now, I made them myself at home … because the tiny chocolate heart … too difficult … I hope you enjoy the recipe and the pics.
- 4 eggs
- 200 gr. of brown sugar (1.2 cup or 7.14 ounces)
- 250 gr. of flour (1.9 cup or 9 ounces)
- ½ bag of dry yeast (8 gr. or 1½ teaspoon)
- 200 gr. of melted butter (4/5 cup or 7.14 ounces)
- ½ of vanilla pod
- 1 tablespoon of Rum
- 1 large tablespoon of unsweetened chocolate powder
- 150 gr. of dark chocolate (4/5 cup or 5.35 ounces)
- 10 cl. of liquid cream (2/5 cup or 0.3 fluid ounces)
- 100 gr. of powdered sugar (1/2 cup or 3.57 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons of liquid cream
- 1 adjustable mold (24x24cm puis 24x12cm)
- 2 tablespoons of chocolate vermicelli
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Mix sugar and eggs. Add flour and yeast. Then add melted butter. Mix.
- Split the mix ⅔ - ⅓. Pour approximately 250 gr. (1/3) in a mixing bol and add chocolate powder.
- Seed vanilly pod. Add in the other part of the paste (2/3) together with 1 tablespoon of rum. Mix.
- Fill the 24x24 cm mold with the vanilla paste. Bake for 13 minutes. Leave to cool on a cake rack.
- Then fill the 24x12cm mold and bake for 13 minutes. Leave to cool on a cake rack.
- While baking the cake, chop dark chocolate and melt in a water-bath together with the liquid cream.
- Cut in two pieces the vanilla cake. Cover with half of melted chocolate. Place the chocolate cake on top and cover with the rest of melted chocolate. Finish by a vanilla cake.
- Icing : Mix powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons of liquid cream. Pour on top of the cake, make it look nice. Sprinkle chocolate vermicelli.
- Refrigerate few minutes and cut the side, so it looks nice and also because it had the tendency to dry.