I love mashed vegetables. Potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, celery … This is my favourite way of eating vegetables together with soups! I am sure that this must be the same with your children. I hated vegetables as a child. Especially when they were green. But when my mother or grandma was making me a purée I loved them instantaneously.
Making mashed potatoes is quite easy but you have to peel and wash a lot of potatoes. Arg this is the annoying part. Maybe you can ask some help from your children! I am sure they will be happy to help. Of course this is easier to make with pressure cooker and electric masher.
First of all your children might love it and second this is the perfect side dish for most of meat and fish recipes. I blind the purée with some cooking water, butter and one egg. However I do not use any milk or cream. I like it better that way. I also add a bit of nutmeg. This is delicious. As I said earlier, one of my favourite way of eating vegetables!
- 1.2 kg of potatoes (2.6 pounds)
- 1 egg
- 25 gr. of butter (1½ tablespoons or 0.8 oz)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 branch of rosemary
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- Peel, slice and wash the potatoes.
- Put potatoes in a large casserole dish. Cover with water. Add bay leaves, rosemary and salt. Leave to cook on medium heat for 40 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
- Reserve 250 ml. (1 cup or 8.3 oz) of cooking water. Sieve.
- Mash potatoes using an electric hand potato masher.
- Add egg and butter. Mix.
- Season with nutmeg, pepper and salt.
Thank you very much for reading. Register to the newsletter or follow me on social media to get the latest recipes of a French girl “cuisine”.