Here’s a delicious way to use your liquid natural sourdough. Since I started, my husband and daughter have sworn by my french baguettes and don’t want to hear about going to the store to buy some.
Now I’m on the chore of french bread. Except that baguettes are not made like that, time must take advantage of the little that remains to us by being confined. It’s so nice to make your own homemade bread, especially sourdough bread.
For this recipe, you do not need a bread machine but in addition to your sourdough a little fresh baker’s yeast. And yes, I cheat a little but I promise you that you will be telling the news.
If all goes well, you get simply perfect homemade baguette, airy crumbs and everything.
It can be handy to have a baguette rack. I bought it almost 10 years ago I think and I still haven’t used it. It will have taken a pandemic!
Here is the homemade baguette recipe.
French sourdough baguettes recipe
- 400 gr purpose flour
- 220 gr water
- 100 gr natural liquid sourdough
- 7 gr salt
- 7 gr fresh baker's yeast
The day before
- Mix the water and flour gently in the food processor, then more quickly and let the dough rest for 1 hour, covered with a damp cloth.
- Add salt, sourdough and crumbled yeast. Mix gently at first then more quickly thereafter.
- The dough will be sticky, that's normal.
- Leave to stand for 3 hours at room temperature and make a fold every half hour. - How to make a fold?
- Then let rise in the refrigerator overnight. Cover the bowl.
The next day
- Gently take out the dough on a floured work surface.
- Divide the dough in half, flour your hands well and form baguettes by first forming a rectangle by folding the two ends under the dough. Then gently flatten the dough by hand to make a larger rectangle then roll the dough on itself crosswise to obtain your baguette and then lengthen it. - How to shape a baguette?
- Put in a baguette mold (well floured) or on a linen cloth folded in the middle so that the two baguettes are well separated.
- Let sit for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 250 ° C.
- Meanwhile, finalize the baguettes. Apply water to the baguette with a kitchen brush, sprinkle with flour and make a 2 cm deep cut along the entire length (about ⅓ of the thickness of the baguette). - How to blade a baguette?
- Fill a dripping pan with boiling water and place at the bottom of the oven before baking the baguettes for 25 minutes.
Tips and tricks for a successful homemade sourdough baguette
- The leaven will be the key to your success!
- Folding the dough to get a well ventilated baguette, is an essential step.
- Water, applying water before cooking will contribute to the formation of a beautiful crust.
- The blade, essential for the formation of beautiful bubbles, do not hesitate ⅓ of the thickness with a sharp knife
- Boiling water is the thing to remember, the dripping pan filled with boiling water, however please put on oven gloves and be careful because hot water burns.
- Baking stone is not compulsory but it’s really good!
There is nothing more satisfying to make homemade french baguette. I might scare some Lausanne’s Bakers! Hahaha!