For this edition of the foodista challenge, Maman pâtisse set up a nice challenge for us this month. Bringing us in the south of Eutope, in a country where the food is simply delicious ! Italy, a country where dishes that are as original and as delectable as the next. A cuisine known all over the world.
I love pasta and pizza of course, but italian cuisine is definitely more than that. So today, I am glad to share with you a recipe that I truly find wonderful : Eggplant involtini. And to bring together 2 countries in the same plate, I added some Iberico ham to replace the traditional Italian Parma ham.
Below the recipe.
- 2 eggplants
- 200 gr. of mozzarella
- 100 gr. of Iberico ham
- sea salt
- olive oil
- 25 cl. of tomato coulis
- Mandolin / slicer
- Wooden toothpick
- Slice lenghtwise eggplants finely using a slicer or a mandoline.
- Place in a plate, add 1 teaspoon of sea salt, let them sweat for 1 hour up to 1 night.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan, fry eggplant slices on both side and reserve.
- Put some shreds of spanish ham, a bit of mozzarella at the extremity of one eggplant slice.
- Roll and close using a toothpick.
- Place in an oven dish.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Bake for 5 minutes and serve together with a tomato coulis.