Braised red cabbage is a traditional side dish served together with venison. To be honest, I have never been a big fan of cooked red cabbage. Red or white in fact. But cooking is all about tasting, tasting and tasting again until you finally like it. Actually the case for me with this recipe!
This delicious braised red cabbage will perfectly go with the venison recipe that I will share with you soon; but it could also be served together with another meat. Be creative!
This recipe was tasted and approved by our friends, hopefully yours will like it as well.
- 600 gr. of red cabbage
- 1 apple
- ½ onion
- 1 dash of grape seed oil
- 20 gr. of risoto rice
- 1 dl. of red wine
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 bay laurel
- 0.5 dl. of orange juice
- 5 dl. of vegetable stock
- salt, pepper
- Finely slice cabbage with a knife or a slicer. Thiner the better.
- Peel and finely slice onion and apple.
- Heat a dash of oil in a covered pan.
- Add cabbage, apple, onion, rice, wine, orange juice and laurel.
- Mix, cover, cook for 5 minutes. Poor vegetable stock, cover and leave to cook for 2h30 minutes until cabbage melt in your mouth. Add pepper, salt if needed and serve.