I always was quite intrigued by this pink bread. The Pâtisserie « Mourtarlier » in Lausanne center got a brie sandwich, pink ! A beetroot bread of course. Sandwich bars offer more and more these little special breads. I found them really funny and me too I wanted to try to bake these breads !
I already knew how to make bread. However I had no idea how to give it this great pink color and most of all how to maintain the color during baking process. My first two attemps were deplorable. I don’t even bother to speak about the first one. I think that I was not yet awake. Everything went well on my second try until baking. I lost the color…
One of my numerous qualities ( 🙂 ) being determination, (I could say obstinacy sometimes) here my third and successful attempt ! The bread was perfect. I brough it to my husband parents yesterday and … nothing left.
- 200 gr. of cooked red beetroot (7.1 oz., 0.45 lb)
- 0.5 dl. of water (1.6 oz. or ⅕ cup)
- 270 gr. of unbleached flour (2 cups or 9.7 oz, 0.6 lb.
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of brown sugar
- 10 gr. of fresh baker's yeast (0.35 oz.)
- If you use fresh beetroot: Wash beetroots. Cut the tops leaving 10 cm. Place in your autocooker without peeling with ½ teaspoon of salt. Cook during 30 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Mix beetroot with water in an eletric mixer to obtain a purée.
- Mix flour with salt. Add beetroot purée and fresh yeast. Mix with your hand until you get an homogeous dough. This is normal if the dough still is a bit sticky but not too much.
- Wrap in cling film leaving some space allowing the dough to raise. Let rest for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Form bread and place on a baking tray covered with greaseproof paper.
- Brush water on top of bread and leave to rest for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Add an oven cup filled with water next to the bread and bake for 30 minutes. Leave to cool.
Thank you very much for reading. Register to the newsletter or follow me on social media to receive the latest recipes of a French girl “cuisine”.