Last time I went to Montpellier to visit my mum, she made this recipe for me. She knows for a fact that this is my favourite fish. This was also the only way as a child to make me eat something else than a fish finger full of ketchup. No bones and this is melting in your mouth. This sauce has a divine taste as well and match perfectly with skate wing.
I have no idea if it is common to eat this fish in your home country. In France, this is something usual. However in Switzerland that’s impossible to find. I went to a French supermarket, one hour driving from my place. Let me know how it is like for you and if you ever tasted it.
- 12 potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 bouquet garni
- 6 skate wings
- 2 shallots
- 125 gr. of butter, diced and cold
- 1 dl. of white wine
- 0.3 dl. of white vinegar
- Peel and dice carrot. Peel onion. Peel and cut potatoes in large cube. Wash and add bouquet garni in a casserole dish with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover with water. Leave to cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- In a meantime, peel and finely slice shallots. Cook shallots in a saucepan until transparent and deglaze with white wine and vinegar. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Leave to cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat of potatoes to low heat. Add skate wing and leave to cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add diced and cold butter in your sauce. Stir quickly to get a homogeneous sauce. Sieve white butter sauce to remove shallots.
- Serve skate wings and potatoes with this delicious white butter sauce.
Thank you very much for reading. Register to the newsletter or follow me on social media to receive the latest recipes of a French girl “cuisine”.