That was Adrien’s birthday. We were invited to his parents’ house and I was taking care of the dessert. I am currently studying for a project management exam and I had no time to bake something special. Thanksfully one of Adrien’s favourite cake is really easy and fast to bake and I still had a jar of rhubarb and strawberries jam left. I woke up this morning and I immediatly baked this delicious jelly roll cake.
That was my first time. We usually bought one in the supermarket when we were receiving a bunch of friends with nothing planned for dessert. To be honest, I never really enjoyed eating these ready cakes and not understood what Adrien could find so tasty about them.
Anyway, as a nice spouse, I wanted to bake him something he really liked. His family loved this cake so much that they eat the all cake in less than 10 minutes. True story. I have to admit, it was delicious. I was affraid that the biscuit become too dry; but that was not the case. Simply delicious. That could be a great idea as well for Christmas !
- 3 egg yolks
- 90 gr. of sugar (1/2 cup or 3.21 oz.)
- 10 gr. of vanilla sugar (1 tablespoon or 0.4 oz.)
- 100 gr. of flour (4/5 cup or 3.6 oz.)
- 2 level teaspoons of baking powder
- 3 egg white
- 1 jar of rhubarb and strawberries jam
- 1 tablespoon of iced sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Beat egg yolks with sugar and vanilla sugar until pale yellow. Add flour and baking powder. Mix until you get an homogeneous paste.
- Whisk egg whites until foamy. Incorporate delicately in the previous mixture.
- Spread in a thin layer on a baking tray previously covered with greaseproof paper.
- Bake until coloured a light gold, about 10 to 15 minutes. Monitor baking process after 10 minutes. It took me exactly 12 minutes.
- Remove cake from baking paper and replace on top of it.
- Cover cake with jam and roll cake using baking paper.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remodel your cake if needed.
- Cut both ends using a bread knife and decorate with some powdered sugar.
Thank you very much for reading. Register to the newsletter or follow me on social media to receive the latest recipes of a French girl “cuisine”.